Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 8: Hit Keyboard, Lights Become Correct Pattern

Yesterday, I was gifted a double-edged sword: Dark Souls for the PC. This was given to me by a friend who came into possession with another copy of the game after buying it for himself, and he claimed he gifted to me so that someone else could share in his frustration.

Oh, if only he had known what frustration it would bring.

It all began about 20 minutes into the game after I defeated the first section. I was dropped off by a rather polite and majestic raven and realized upon landing that my video had become entirely blurred. This was a bit of a conundrum, because up to this point the game was running flawlessly.

I creeped over to the video settings and decided to shop around resolutions to see if I could make something that would better fit my settings and show up without blur. My first choice, just to check, crashed my game immediately. Every time I tried to launch after that, it chose that resolution and the game crashed on launch without fail.

It took me nearly all day, but I have fixed the issue.

So, I decidedly wasted most of my day to fix a game. However, I think I gained some things from it as far as applies to my resolution.

1: Focused dedication- I put my mind to a problem and through determination fixed it.
2: Steam's file structure- I learned much more about how the popular Valve distribute client handles files, saves, and configures.
3: Computer maintennance- in the process, I updated drivers, cleaned up registries, and made my computer a more perfect machine.

The list could go on if I spent more time on it, but I think that will suffice for now.

Today, I set my mind to a problem and solved it.

Daniel, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment