Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2: From House to Home

Day 2 of my resolution's progress, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I thought I would have found a distinct lack of motivation about it, but it's actually going pretty well and I feel pretty pumped! I've already received some feedback from people in my e-mails, Facebook messages, and texts, and I appreciate all your support and feedback!

As I alluded to in my previous post, I've recently moved to a new house in a new neighborhood fairly recently. While I was still in school, my official residence changed from the relative calm of rural Pennsylvania to a location not so far outside the state's capitol, Harrisburg. The difference between the two is striking, and I'm still adjusting to a more urban environment.

Some part of me wasn't quite satisfied with the move. Even though this house is gorgeous, perfect for my parents, and my room is well-equipped, it hasn't felt like home. After celebrating Christmas with my family, I still felt like this was some form of temporary residence.

As of a few hours ago, I still had a few boxes in my room full of miscellaneous items. It was simple for me to look at them and be reminded over and over again about the soreness of leaving what was my childhood home, my residence for almost 17 years.

However, I knew that I would never call this new place home until they were put away. Begrudgingly, I dug into their contents to set them up somewhere in my room or to discard what was no longer wanted. What I found was a treasure trove of memories of days past.

Letters, notes, and journals gave me insight to a previous version of myself from years past. Seemingly random items of days past presented themselves, all with own attached memories and background. Ticket stubs and playbills reminded me of shows, concerts, and movies I've gone to seen with friends and family.

I'll admit, faithful reader, that I had teared up after unboxing all of these things, remembering all of these beautiful, wonderful things. And now, I beginning to even feel like this place is home.

Today, I finally unpacked the last of my boxes and have turned a house to a home.

Daniel, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment