Friday, January 18, 2013

Day 18: Must... Resist... Impulses!..

Today, I woke up feeling pretty sick. I didn't go into work (which, granted, I probably wasn't going to anyway considering we've got all our tasks complete), nor did I hang out with a friend as I planned, out of fear that I would spread my sickness to him or throw up at his place.

After spending the morning drifting in and out of consciousness, I maintained being awake around noon feeling thoroughly disoriented and in a dazed stupor. As the day went on I would begin to feel more human, but a lasting sense of fatigue  would take hold over my events for the rest of the day.

So, as I entered the late afternoon, it occurred to me that I hadn't really accomplished anything with my day, especially anything that could be considered grounds for my New Year's resolution. Therefore, I decided to work on something about myself that didn't require great physical effort, acting to adjust my personality or behavior rather than improve physical condition.

I am normally a pretty fiscally conservative person by most means. I don't spend much money if I don't have to and am mostly satisfied with my current means. I don't feel like I need to spend an exorbitant amount of cash to have a good time or to enjoy myself.

Lately, however, I have been more prone to impulses, both financial and otherwise. I've been making decisions and purchases that perhaps I shouldn't, splurging on things that I didn't really need or necessarily should have spent my money on.

So, today, I decided to work on my impulse control and did the unthinkable: I browsed Steam's deals of the day, knowing full well that my credit card information was already saved on my account, and didn't buy anything!

Just kidding, I didn't actually do that. But I did work on my impulse control a bit by going through some mental exercises and exerting focus to keep a tighter wallet about things.

I also looked at my checking account balance, which did pretty much the same thing.

Today, I worked on being somewhat less impulsive.

Daniel, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment