Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 30: Endurance

Today, I was injured.

It wasn't by a nasty fall or accident, nor by an exercise gone too far, nor anything else of the physical sort. This sort was emotional.

Someone very close to me said some very, very hurtful things and left me feeling depleted. When I returned home, I thought for a long time how I would like to get even, to return fire, to make myself feel like I had avenged the injustice levied against me.

...But then I didn't. There's a reason they're close to me and earned a place among my favorite people, as one of my closest compatriots. I relaxed and stared at the ceiling for a while. A text message filled with all of my vitriol and venom went unsent and was deleted.

It's easy to lose control when faced with some adversity, but it's much harder to maintain that same control.

Today, I kept my cool and kept my friendship.

Daniel, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment